Different types of article - Easy Learning Grammar French
- There are three types of article:
- the definite article: the in English. This is used to identify a particular thing or person.
- I’m going to the supermarket.
- That’s the woman I was talking to.
- the indefinite article: a or an in English, some or any (or no word at all) in the plural. This is used to refer to something unspecific, or that you do not really know about.
- Is there a supermarket near here?
- I need a day off.
- the partitive article: some or any (or no word at all) in English. This is used to talk about quantities or amounts.
- Can you lend me some sugar?
- Did you buy any wine?
- Do you like chocolate?