Adjectives used as nouns - Easy Learning Grammar German
- All adjectives in German, and participles used as adjectives, can also be used as nouns. These are often called adjectival nouns.
- Adjectives and participles used as nouns have:
- a capital letter like other nouns
|Der neue Angestellte ist früh angekommen.||The new employee arrived early.|
- weak, strong or mixed endings, depending on which article, if any, comes before them
|Sie ist die neue Angestellte.||She is the new employee.|
|Das Gute daran ist, dass ich mehr verdiene.||The good thing about it is that I’m earning more.|
|Es bleibt beim Alten.||Things remain as they were.|
- Adjectives in German, and participles used as adjectives, can also be used as nouns. These are often called adjectival nouns.
- Adjectival nouns begin with a capital letter and take the same endings as normal adjectives.