What is an interrogative adjective?
An interrogative adjective is one of the question words and expressions used with a noun such as which, what, how much and how many; for example, Which shirt are you going to wear?; How much time have we got?
- In Spanish the interrogative adjectives are qué (meaning which or what) and cuánto/cuánta/cuántos/cuántas (meaning how much/how many). Note that like all other Spanish question words, qué and cuánto have accents on them.
- ¿qué? (meaning which? or what?) doesn’t change for the feminine and plural forms.
|¿Qué libro te gusta más?||Which book do you like best?|
|¿Qué clase de diccionario necesitas?||What kind of dictionary do you need?|
|¿Qué instrumentos tocas?||What instruments do you play?|
|¿Qué ofertas has recibido?||What offers have you received?|
- ¿cuánto? means the same as how much? in English. It changes to ¿cuánta? in the feminine form.
|¿Cuánto dinero te queda?||How much money have you got left?|
|¿Cuánta lluvia ha caído?||How much rain have we had?|
- Note that with gente (meaning people), which is a feminine singular noun, cuánta must be used.
|¿Cuánta gente ha venido?||How many people came?|
- ¿cuántos? means the same as how many? in English. It changes to ¿cuántas? in the feminine plural.
|¿Cuántos bolígrafos quieres?||How many pens would you like?|
|¿Cuántas personas van a venir?||How many people are coming?|
TipDon’t forget to add the opening upside-down question mark in Spanish questions.
Grammar Extra!In English we can say, Tell me what time it is, He asked me how much sugar there was and I don’t know which dress to choose to express doubt, report a question, or ask a question in a roundabout or indirect way. In Spanish you can use qué and cuánto/cuánta/cuántos/cuántas in the same way. PreviousNext
|Dime qué hora es.||Tell me what time it is.|
|Me preguntó cuánto azúcar había.||He asked me how much sugar there was.|
|No sé qué vestido escoger.||I don’t know which dress to choose.|
|No sé a qué hora llegó.||I don’t know what time she arrived.|
|Dime cuántas postales quieres.||Tell me how many postcards you’d like.|