Pronouns after prepositions - Easy Learning Grammar Spanish
- In English, we use me, you, him and so on after a preposition, for example, he came towards me; it’s for you; books by him. In Spanish, there is a special set of pronouns which are used after prepositions.
- The pronouns used after a preposition in Spanish are the same as the subject pronouns, except for the forms mí (meaning me) ti (meaning you), and sí (meaning himself, herself, yourself, themselves, yourselves).
|usted (Vd.)||you||ellos||them (masculine)|
|Pienso en ti.||I think about you.|
|¿Son para mí?||Are they for me?|
|No he sabido nada de él.||I haven’t heard from him.|
|Es para ella.||It’s for her.|
|Iban hacia ellos.||They were going towards them.|
|Volveréis sin nosotros.||You’ll come back without us.|
|Volaban sobre vosotros.||They were flying above you.|
- Note that mí, sí and él each have an accent, to distinguish them from mi (meaning my) , si (meaning if), and el (meaning the), but ti does not have an accent.
- These pronouns are often used for emphasis.
|¿A ti no te escriben?||Don’t they write to you?|
|Me lo manda a mí, no a ti.||She’s sending it to me, not to you.|
- con (meaning with) combines with mí, ti and sí to form:
- conmigo with me
|Ven conmigo.||Come with me.|
- contigo with you
|Me gusta estar contigo.||I like being with you.|
- consigo with himself/herself/yourself/themselves/yourselves
|Lo trajeron consigo.||They brought it with them.|
- entre, hasta, salvo, menos and según are always used with the subject pronouns (yo and tú), rather than with the object pronouns (mí and ti).
- entre between, among
|entre tú y yo||between you and me|
- hasta even, including
|Hasta yo puedo hacerlo.||Even I can do it.|
- menos except
|todos menos yo||everybody except me|
- salvo except
|todos salvo yo||everyone except me|
- según according to
|según tú||according to you|
- For more information on Subject pronouns, see Pronouns.
- Most prepositions are followed by the forms: mí, ti, sí and so on.
- con combines with mí, ti and sí to form conmigo, contigo and consigo.
- entre, hasta, menos, salvo and según are followed by the subject pronouns yo and tú.